The Institute of Undersea Technology (IUT), offering a Master of Science degree, was established in 1996. Six full time professors, two researchers, and five research assistants, lead academic activities for a student body of around 30. The IUT is a destination for students from diverse undergraduate majors, including engineering, computer science, physics, and other disciplines. Our curriculum and research programs offer students the opportunity to expand their educational foundation, and to prepare them for the next steps toward careers, through interdisciplinary studies and training.
The research at the IUT focuses on the following two areas:
(1) Underwater acoustics: acoustic source localization and tracking, underwater communication, propagation of sound, ambient noise, seafloor geological remote sensing technology;
(2) Underwater mechatronics: underwater vehicles (remotely operated vehicles, autonomous underwater vehicles, towed vehicles, underwater gliders), underwater positioning and navigation, acoustic electromechanical system, deep-sea monitoring and sampling system.
To incubate students who have professional skills in undersea technology, good knowledge in the therical and pratical experience of deepsea exploration. Furthermore, communication, self-learning, and problem-solving techniques are also emphasized.
Students' Professional Competence
1. Professional skills in undersea technology
2. Ability to execute deep-sea exploration
3. Self-learning and problem solving techniques
4. Communication skills
5. The sense to grasp both local and international industry development trend